Friday, September 7, 2007

It has already been a week since I’ve arrived in Shanghai!

I forgot to mention something we saw yesterday. Okay, there’ll always be a lot of construction workers on a certain road squatting to eat dinner and we always seem them on our way back home. The thing is, we saw their bus coming to pick them up after dinner and all of them ran for the bus and you know how they entered? No, not by the door, but by the WINDOWS- to ensure that they get a seat! We saw so many of them squeezing into the windows of the bus we started laughing like mad!

So today basically we had an emotional rollercoaster in the morning when we went for work.

YJ and my shift start at 9am (we walked there!) and when we went to the in-house department to report, we had nothing to do again.

Our manager then came to us and said “I think I’ve got bad news. Some other manager wants the 3 of you to be put into the banquet department.”

We were like OMG okay! Whining saying we don’t want and all because banquet is tough, we might not be in the same shifts, we might not get the same off days.

We literally whined to our manager because at 10am he was going for a meeting to decide if the 3 of us are really going to shift to the banquet department or not.

And when he left for the meeting, the 3 of us was like “omg we’re so dead”.

But, I really must be so thankful for my really nice manager! He managed to convince the other managers that we are of use to his department and he’ll teach us stuff in time to come.

So, we’re still staying with ROOM SERVICE! :D :D :D

After that we didn’t dare to slack, we kept asking if they needed us to help with anything or not. So from 11am until 12pm we were helping them clear the tables and food that came back after breakfast.

You do not know how much food is being wasted man.

And after lunch we came back to help them wipe glasses and cutlery. We were just ensuring that we were useful in that department so that we didn’t have to move!

We even went to help them fold A LOT of napkins!

And by 3pm, we had to go for our second half of the spirit training! It wasn’t as boring as Wednesday’s one because it was held in the bar.

First thing that happened was a mini quiz. It was basically just answering questions posted by the speaker based on Wednesday’s class.

And because the speaker is Australian and only speaks English, and he knows that 7 of us Singaporeans understand him only w/o the need of translation, he practically asked all of us to answer his questions!

We didn’t let Singapore or NP down okay! All of us could answer him correctly w/o much reference to any notes! :D

The last question he posted to me was nowhere found in his notes; it was “what do you do when a guest complains?” OMG SO HOM RIGHT!

Lucky that came out for exam and I still had it quite fresh in my mind.

Anyway, I don’t really like the translator. I think he’s very rude in the way he orders people to do things and stuff and he’s full of himself. I don’t know him though, but that’s the feeling I get when I see him. And he even translated some parts wrongly okay.

After that mini quiz which we aced, he then proceeded to make cocktails for us to sample. There was Vodka Martini, Gin Martini, Cosmopolitan, Singapore Sling and I forgot which else already.

He showed us how it was prepared and we all could taste it (:

And by 5pm we were done with work! Headed to the staff canteen to eat our dinner and then after work we went to the hotel’s bakery to buy bread because it’s 50% off after 5pm and their take-away bakery is HUGE (tomorrow’s breakfast you see).

Oh did I mention the good part yet?

I HAVE 4 OFF DAYS CONSECUTIVELY. Yes, I have the weekend off because of this week and we requested to get our off days on Mondays and Tuesdays (:

However, I’m feeling quite vexed about our accommodation part. I wanna get it settled before I start work on Wednesday. But, the 2 of them aren’t giving us definite answers. I swear YJ and I will just move to the accommodation even w/o them.

Replies

Jun Wei: What special service you want huh? HAHAHAHA. I can provide you 5 Star hotel service because that's what I'm being trained for now! :P

KC: Eh, don't start making me think okay. Now when I think of the roadside satay thingy we ate, it might not be their claimed chiken/mutton/beef! OMG. It might be rat?! Maybe you should be a nice guy and send some lovely Singaporean food over. Yum!