Sunday, November 25, 2007

The day started off in the evening today :P

Oh, yesterday we had our first experience of squeezing 3 girls on the queen sized bed because we sent the sofa bed back to Chang Fang’s apartment.

The 3 that slept on the queen-sized bed were Joanne, YJ and I. Angela took the remaining sofa bed and the next few days we would take turns to sleep on the sofa bed.

We couldn’t sleep the normal way we slept when we had 2 people because it was too narrow so we switched positions where our heads were on the longer side of the bed so 3 of us would have enough space. But, it wasn’t long enough for us to stretch our legs fully!

So all of us woke up with our body’s aching like old women :(

YJ and I went out to Xu Jia Hui at like 5pm while Joanne and JY stayed at home to complete their interim report.

That MRT station has like 14 different exits can you imagine?!

That whole area is somewhat like Singapore’s Orchard Road. There are lots of departmental store buildings around the whole area.

YJ and I walked everywhere! We didn’t buy much though because most of the shops were branded goods.

The funny thing was that there was one side that had all the different departmental stores and when we were combing that area we got hungry. So, we went to a random department store to look for food and we found NONE.

In the end, we walked somewhere else and realized that that whole stretch was selling FOOD!

We saw this Chinese fast-food place and decided to go there to eat because we were so lazy to look for other outlets.

I ordered a bowl of dry noodles while YJ ordered some fried rice thingy. Each cost RMB19.

It turned out tasting not bad! At least it wasn’t super oily and salty! And we wished they had that outlet at Super Brand Mall so we could eat it for lunch occasionally.

Oh, we also found a shopping area in the midst of all the high-end outlets that resembled Far East Plaza.

I bought a jacket from there which cost me like RMB179. But I love the shop, they sell really cool jacket lah! I’d buy more if I had more money.

We also went to this other shop and I bought 2 dresses (RMB250 in total. Not considered cheap compared to Qi Pu Lu prices). Dresses are like so convenient because I’d pair them with tights and boots and out of the house I go. Stuffing your jeans into your boots can be such a chore at times.

YJ and I headed over to this building called Metro and it was so Singaporean! The basement was a FOOD COURT (super rare in shopping malls in Shanghai) and there was a stall selling Singaporean food- Oyster omelet, Hokkien Mee etc.

There was also TOAST BOX selling half boiled eggs and kaya toast! I swear if we didn’t have dinner already we would so be eating there!

We left the place at around 10pm after walking along every lighted corner of Xu Jia Hui.

It was a super funny scene at the MRT when we were at People’s Square Interchange.

YJ and I rushed into the last cabin because the door was closing and there were quite a number of people in the train.

So, we started speaking in our Singaporean English and the guys near us stared at us. I heard them speak, it was Singaporean English too! So I started back at them and YJ was like “eh, Singaporeans.”

Then the guy just said super loudly, “From NTU is it?” I turned and replied “Ngee Ann Poly!”

We then kicked start out conversation and YJ and I realized that surrounding us were all Singaporeans from NTU! Like, 15+ of them?! OMG!!

Turns out that they are here on attachment and studies for 6 moths too! But they’ll be returning to SG by the end of this year.

And when we were going up the escalator at our MRT station, we heard another 2 girls speaking in Singaporean English.

Seriously, I didn’t know our accent was that distinct until I came here. It’s like; super obvious that you’re Singaporean once you open your mouth.

What Denis said was true- you’ll be surprised by the amount of Singaporeans you meet when you’re here. They are everywhere!